The Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority's Convention Sales & Services Department is made up of 15 full time employees and over 40 part time registration employees. The role of the Convention Sales department is to prospect and maintain relationships with potential customers to utilize hotels and RSCVA facilities for their conventions and meetings including, but not limited to, conventions, exhibits, trade shows, corporate meetings, incentive programs, association activities and special events.
The role of the Convention Services department is to provide event marketing assistance and event management services to all of our incoming convention and meeting clients.
What Do We Do?
Our convention sales strategies focus on short and long term goals. In the short term, the next three years, our efforts will focus on close-in bookings to include regional and small corporate, association and tradeshow business that can be accommodated by our hotel community and limited use of the Convention Center. We aggressively pursue the large-scale shows understanding that booking patterns are typically a minimum of 3-5 years in the future.
To accomplish the above, the department will actively participate in RSCVA's numerous marketing & advertising campaigns/promotions.
In addition the sales staff's tasks consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Client appreciation events.
- Client educational events.
- Contacting prospective customers.
- Courtesy and follow-up calls to existing customers, to ensure customer retention.
- Development of community/hotel relationships.
- Direct mail/data base management.
- Familiarization Trip management.
- Lead generation.
- Membership in professional organizations.
- Sales presentations.
- Site inspections.
- Trade show attendance.
Once the program has selected our area, the servicing department's tasks consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in event marketing to build attendance.
- Client solicitation to utilize our services.
- Collateral management.
- Daily management of an MINT, an industry software system that tracks group history and verifies organizational information for sales efforts.
- Develop relationships with local businesses to promote their services to our clients.
- Group coordination.
- Preconvention meetings
- Postconvention meetings.
- Registration personnel scheduling.
- Tradeshow attendance to promote services.