Here in Reno-Tahoe we guarantee fresh snow every friday. subject to black out days, some restrictions apply, no purchase necessary, store credit only, no rain checks…)
Here are some photos of a little pre-work backcountry ski session called, in the local vernacular, Dawn Patrol. Little is known about these secretive and elusive backcountry creatures. These photos were obtained by a confidential source who refuses to say where they were taken.
Info on backcountry skiing in and around Tahoe can be found @:
- The Backcountry: Shops with rental gear in Truckee and Tahoe City.
- Summitpost.com: a good mountaineering guide and a very active forum.
- Alpine Skills International: Classes and trips on all winter backcountry sports. This is a world renowned guide service with certified instructors.
- Wilderness Press: This publisher has some great books and maps written by Reno Tahoe locals. See the Tahoe Backcountry map, Snowsnow Trails Tahoe, and Afoot and Afield in Reno-Tahoe.
- Sierra Avalanche Center: The gentlemen in these photos reported seeing several avalanches that could have potentially been dangerous to skiers. NEVER go into the backcountry W/O checking this daily report usually posted by 6:00 AM. Don’t ski alone, and always cary, and know how to use, a shovel, avalanche beacon, and a probe. Cell reception is good in most areas of Tahoe, and could potentially save a life.
Have a HAPPY holiday!!! If you’re visiting Tahoe this week, we’d love to see your photos and hear your stories! Drop us a line and join our Flickr Photo Community.